Monday, September 10, 2012

Salt Lake City/ DiMM Day 1

On Saturday Sept 8th I headed back to Salt Lake City for the 3rd portion of the DiMM course through the WMS. The course didn't start until Sunday - so I had most of Saturday to enjoy the area.

Adam picked me up at the airport after an uneventful flight. After some relaxing and some lunch we headed up to Guardsman Pass for some mountain biking. I borrow his Niner EMD which was a lot of fun. I'll add the name of the trail later. It was awesome though because we rode past some of the areas I'd gone back country skiing during my avalanche course in February. It was really cool to see the same area in the summer - or almost fall I guess - as all the leaves were changing. Our ride was a bit more interesting as I got a flat tire - which didn't seem to be an issue since Adam had a spare tube - however after we used his 2 CO2's to fill it up - and all the air leaked right back out we figured out the spare tube also had a leak. Luckily (unlike me) he carries patches - so we patched the initial tube (looked like the classic snake bite pinch flat). Luckily some guys with a pump rode by and we borrow it. Rest of the ride wasn't too eventful luckily :)

Sunday before I had to be up at Brighton we went for a hike toward Blanche Lake. We sorta got a late start to the day - so didn't quite make it all the way to the lake. (3.7 miles and 2700ft increase in elevation) I think my lack of altitude adaptation (and probably fitness) didn't really help. Regardless it was a beautiful hike.
Sunday night I moved into my new accommodations up at Brighton Chalets. We had dinner together as a group. It was cool to see people I've met through prior courses - and even from other wilderness medicine endeavors. We discussed course expectations - and plans for the week.


More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment