Friday, February 28, 2014

Day 7 San Marco to corazon

Today was rough. GI bug, sick of non American food, hot and humid...

Between episodes of abdominal cramps and trips to the flush toilet - dirty - but a beautiful sight nonetheless I managed to do 4 or 5 of our 21 Pap smears.

It was a bumpy ride in the 15 passenger bus. I'd made it through about 200cc of pedialyte all day and started to feel a bit hungry so I slowly supplemented with mini Oreos. Did ok with those. 

Rant - if I see another child kick or throw rocks at a dog I'm going to kick them. I can't believe the neglect and abuse of animals here. So sad. 

We had a large turnout today for the presentation. I got task with answering questions afterwards. Sorta reminds me why I don't do primary care. These women repeatedly ask me why their periods are irregular or why they don't bleed with the "injection". One lady who looked to be in her 40s told me she had lower abdominal cramping each month before her period. These topics are pretty taboo in society here but just can't imagine never discussing these things. 
Lots of people came up complaining of years of lower abdominal pain. With no lab capabilities and very jumbled histories due to cultural differences and translation trouble it was pretty frustrating. 

Tonight was Caldo again for dinner. I managed to eat a tortilla. We stopped by the "store" on our way back and I had a sprite. 

Bedtime now. Looks like tomorrow will be a busy day... Hoping I feel better then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment