Friday, February 28, 2014

Day 6.75

We were awoken around midnight by someone saying "miss". The pregnant lady was having more regular contractions and thought that it was "time". Shana and I loaded her, her husband and mother in the 15 passenger van to take her to the hospital in PG. We made it to the hospital without any trouble. 
On the way back badness started brewing in my stomach. Despite my extreme care to what I was eating clearly I've failed somewhere. When we got back I ducked under the barbed wire fence, wove my way around the cow dung, hoping to avoid the grazing (or maybe sleeping??) bull and cows on my quest to the pit Latrine. Picture a rickety wooden platform with a diamond cut out shape - a bit too far back so you are committed to sit rather than squat. The door is half covered by an old potato sack. I assumed my half sit and hoped for some relief. About half way in I noticed the hole in front of the latrine contained a large tarantula. I had no choice but to continue my business and hope that it would stay in the hole. I trudged back past the pigs, chickens, cows and dogs to my hammock. By laying very still I was able to withstand the cramping and get a bit of sleep before the next round of rooster calls. 
The saga continued this morning. At one point the cow, bull and calf surrounded the pit latrine...

No comments:

Post a Comment