Saturday, March 12, 2016

Sun Valley DiMM - Day 0

The WMS has decided to do continuing education for the diploma in mountain medicine I completed in fellowship. Luckily I was able to swing enough time off after the student elective last year to participate. 
Arrived in Sun Valley yesterday - long trip from Roa to atl to slc and finally sun valley. Temps were nice on arrival 40s - however appeared most of the snow was melting. I walked around town and explored a bit. 
This morning after catching up on sleep I met one of the other participants, Billy Martin, who'd I spent time with on Rainier. Despite the rain, we went up to sun valley resort - and after buying an absurdly expensive lift ticket $115- headed up the gondola. After our first few runs the clouds broke and it turned into a blue bird day. Snow is a bit wet and heavy after the rain and warmer temps but still great terrain. I'll have legs of steel after this week :)
Next spent some time organizing my stuff. Packing for a ski trip is a little different when you have to carry everything on your back for the week. (Except food). 
The avy conditions should provide some good learning given the warm snow and rain - with a cold front approaching and about 1ft of snow on the way. 
Hoping to improve my avy skills and backcountry skiing on this trip. It's a great opportunity to learn and get some cme at the same time! Will try to keep this updated throughout the week...


No comments:

Post a Comment