Saturday, March 1, 2014

End of the trip-Belize

Our last day was a fun day. We went to blue creek and went cave swimming. Highly reccomended. The day culminated with a group dinner at Coleman's cafe and then some card playing with the mcg  folks. 4am bus ride to the airport came a bit too early. Rode about 1/2 way with randy and sort of decompressed about the trip. Although I didn't meet my expectations on the trip - I'd hoped to do more teaching of health workers, of our students and form some meaningful relationships with the people of Belize I did learn numerous lessons. 
I navigated the challenges of traveling with 8 other women of various background and experiences. I experienced atleast 7 different villages in the Toledo district. I listened to two new language and understood none of it. I saw a brand new country via very bumpy roads. I slept in a hammock in the jungle, in huts, health buildings and even a church kitchen. I ate tortillas cooked in front of me on wood stoves while chickens, dogs and cats roamed the house -and inquisitive children watched. I tried new foods such as Caldo, cahoun cabbage, and jippy jappa. I bathed in and river and washed my clothes there. I saw scorpions, tarantulas and heard howler monkeys. I made paper airplanes for kids and showed them photos of snow. I tried to educate women about health issues and performed more Pap smears than I've probably done in my entire career. I leaned how much I appreciate some of the consciences in my world. 
Just like the parable where the man walks on the beach throwing back starfish and someone asks why bother since there are so many I hope something I did affects someone's life, even if just for person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment