Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Day 2 and 3

Day 3: today we left the tornak hut and made our way to the coyote yurt. Definitely started to get a little better at all this powder skiing - still did manage to crash and get semi buried in snow. We did a couple of long skins. Starting to get better at kick turns. Got convinced to take an extra run with some peer pressure and ski some burned glades. Was glad I did - was fun - made it back thanks to an espresso double shot and some margarita clif blocks. 
Had medical talks on on traumatic arrests in the field. Was surprised how much resuscitation some of my colleagues would do for a blunt traumatic arrest in the field. 
Also had some talks about carbon monoxide. Scott brought a detector. Interestingly the sauna and dining tent (while cooking) had pretty high levels. Leaned alcohol is the cleanest fuel for cooking and diesel is the worst. Plus the bigger the pot the more co is released. 

Every evening someone gets the Hawaiian lay - and tonight I got it as the lay of fame for my efforts on the next to last run. Hoping the ibuprofen kicks in so I can ski some more tomorrow. Despite being the youngest on the trip I think I might one of the sorest. Trying to dig yourself out of snow after crashing is not easy. Reminds me of how hard it was to get up as a kid when I'd crash. Probably crashed more here than I have in the past 10 year, well maybe 5 years of skiing. 

Day 2 we toured from tornak. Crazy how the weather shifts from snow and wind to sun over just a few minutes. We did some education on Avalanche deaths.in short if you don't die of trauma, asphyxia is the next thing that will kill you. We did a practice burial scenario on our way back to the hut. Thought we did pretty well. Easy to assess a patient in the field as a team of er docs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment