Sunday, January 6, 2013

Airplane wilderness

I've always wondered if I'd ever be on a plane when there was a need for medical personnel. Guessing it is sort of fitting that the first flight I take with my new "silver medallion" status some medical skills are needed.

An older gentleman (80s) slowly made his way down the aisle in front of me after getting out of a wheelchair on the jetway. While the flight attendant assisted him in taking off his jacket it became apparent his upper left arm was bleeding. Nothing scary - just oozing from his dialysis site and from what he described as a skin year. I guess I was looking a little too intently as the flight attendant ask me, "you aren't a nurse by any chance are you?" I replied "no, I'm actually a doctor". She asked if I could help. I agreed. She asked what I needed and I asked for some gauze and tape.

I don't think they wanted to breakout the real kit so I was presented with a couple paper towels, several band aids, an alcohol pad and some gloves. No gauze or tape on this flight - however eventually was given a roll of masking tape.

Improvising with the super absorbent and masking tape plus some patient applied pressure the bleeding stopped.

Another life saved:) planes are a lot like the wilderness...

1 comment:

  1. Food is scarce, temperature is out of control, and medical help may be hard to reach, just like the wilderness.

    Just wait til you get to Gold status... had a guy pass out the other day, and last fall we diverted our flight to the nearest hospital for a heart attack. One of my co-workers woke up on a red-eye to Stockholm with vomit on him from the dead guy in the next seat. Always take the aisle seat!

    ReplyDelete