Sunday, July 1, 2012

Getting Started

Hi! As most know by this point I'm currently down in Augusta, Ga (or really all over the US) completing a 1 year wilderness medicine fellowship through the Dept. of Emergency Medicine at Georgia Health Sciences University (Medical College of Ga). During my recent travels I realized there is so much I'll experience and learn this year I need to do something to keep track of it all - and keep others in the loop of my latest adventures (or misadventures).

So basically this year I'll travel a lot - attending various courses and conferences - and getting some firsthand knowledge of wilderness medicine. I also work attending shifts in the emergency dept here at GHSU. As a recent EM grad this is all new to me!

I moved down to Ga at the end of June after finishing residency at Wake Forest. After being in Winston for 7 years (med school and residency) it was really tough to leave. With much thanks to my parents, Bethany, Liz, Chris Thomas and Chris Greene - and Mrs. Davidson - we packed up a large penske truck and several cars and made the move.

Augusta was as billed - very hot. In fact the temperature inside my new house was 87 (114 outside), despite the air going full force. The house was not quite up to the standard I was used to... but it was shelter. With a window unit A/C in my bedroom - it was more bearable.

The start of work was a little rough. I got a computer password (that didn't actually even work) a couple hours before my first shift. Luckily I feel residency at wake prepared me well for the practice of medicine - and everyone in the dept down here was great - so I survived shift one (did I mention it was 6p -3a on the 4th of July?).

No comments:

Post a Comment